Sunday, February 26, 2012

Carnivale Weekend

Friday, 19 Feb
Pictured above is the lovely view of my fellow USAC students after waking up bright and early on Friday morning to catch our coach for the start of our 3 day Carnivale weekend through ERASMUS. After near 6 hours of travel, we were let off the bus to tour the charming town of Verona, once home to Romeo or Juliet (or so the town would like you to believe). FYI, 3 hours is not nearly long enough to get a taste of the town but we made do.
First stop was the superlative Roman Arena. It's a lot like the Colosseum except smaller and better preserved. My Italian friend/tour-guide Alfredo says that during the summer they host operas here. I think that might necessitate a return visit but we'll see. As it was Carnivale, there was a parade going on throughout the town and the arena offered an excellent view. 
As much I would've liked to watch the parade longer, there were still sites left unseen. Our next stop was the Duomo in Verona. I think I'm starting to get churched-out. 
With little time left to spare, we grabbed a coffee, crossed the river, and climbed all the way to the top of the hill for a better view of the town.



I've arranged the pictures exactly as I would've seen it from the top of the hill, that's Alfredo on the left and Katie on the right. 

Saturday, 20 Feb

Venice Day! Woo! This was my 2nd time to Venice but the wow-factor had not subsided. In addition, the excitement of Carnivale made the city crackle with life. First stop (after coffee of course) was the Scuola San Rocco, nicknamed "Tintoretto's Sistine Chapel". I've confirmed with Travis that I have actually seen this before but how I managed to forget it is beyond me. I think I've become exceedingly proficient at taking photos in places where you're not supposed to.
The next couple of hours kind of blurred by as we stumbled our way across Venice to find the right vaporetto to get to Murano, the island of glass. It didn't hurt to have Alfredo around so he could ask for directions.
One of my favorite shots of the day on the Grand Canal. Via one traghetto, one vaporetto, and a lot of walking we made our way to Murano just in time to picnic for lunch then go watch a glass blowing demonstration. 
Fast forward past buying glass trinkets, leaving the island, buying Carnivale masks (I somehow managed to avoid getting a picture with my mask on the entire weekend, go figure), and wading through the literal sea of tourists in St. Mark's Square to enter the Basilica. 
This is the best one of the lot, don't judge. After the church, Alfredo decided to go back to the hotel and sleep, leaving Katie and I to enjoy the real thrill of the day, the Gallerie dell'Academia, home to a fine collection of Venetian Renaissance art. 



Besides becoming a huge fan of Tintoretto, I've also started collecting pictures of St. Sebastian, pictured in the middle. Don't ask me why because I don't know why I started.

Sunday, 21 Feb


Glossing over the ERASMUS party on Saturday night, we were given the day to explore Padua... in the rain. Naturally, we ran to the nearest church for refuge, which we believed at the time was Basilica di San Antonio. Turns out it was only the church of St. Luke, so we looked at the map and found the right church. 
As it happens, we arrived during Mass during the Festival of the Tongue or something like that. In the glass cases are reliquaries, not the least of which were the tongue AND vocal cords of San Antonio. Had we stayed, we would've been able to see his jawbone being passed around. As exciting as that would've been, we left, found what Alfredo called "a gothic cafe" and drank ridiculously good coffee, with some sort of fancy mint foam on top. 
I snapped this guy on our way out of the cafe, after which we climbed back on board, passed out, and drove home.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Jaared -- PaPa is Uncle Mike, and I'm letting you know that I'm following this great adventure. Be well, and keep the updates coming.

    ReplyDelete